Saturday, March 12, 2011

Life Skill 101: Organization

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

In the life of an educator (or let's face it anyone trying to juggle 8 balls at once), there is little as important as organizational skills.  When we allow things to pile up over time, it can be like trying to dig out after an avalanche.  This desk space (meant to be for the children mind you) is sending such a strong message yet I'm wondering if the teacher is even aware of this message.  What is this workspace saying to you?

2 comments:

  1. Is this a space that the children are supposed to be able to work on?
    I consider myself an extremely organized person - my friends would even say I'm OCD about things - but my desk is one area of my life where things sometimes pile up. To someone else it may look cluttered but to me everything is in a place - lesson plans, lesson plan book, books for that day, books for tomorrow, flannel board pieces, craft ideas, etc.
    It isn't messy - just several piles and sticky notes on the computer monitor.
    But my desk area is where the children do not go - the only area in the room they do not use - except to put magnets on the side and back of!
    I always tell my friends a mess to one person is organization to another - now I don't know the situation of the person's area in the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is the only computer in the classroom and was purchased by the local school district to be used by children. Do you envision a child working in this space?

    ReplyDelete